Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Sugery Day!


It's 6:00 A.M. on valve replacement surgery day. How do I feel? Honestly, my predominant emotion is optimism peppered with real excitement. I feel like I used to when I was about to start a 10 mile run. Today, I'll start to get my life back. Today I'll get my tricuspid valve fixed. Beginning today, my energy will gradually return. Of course, I'm not looking forward to the rehab, but now we're getting somewhere. At last, there will be no more waiting. From today forward, I'll be on recovery row!

My beloved Boxer and Shih Tzu will once again get their long walks in the beautiful Sandia foothills above Albuquerque. It's already a gorgeous day here; a perfect day to have this surgery, a perfect day to start really living again.

Studies overwhelming show that listening to music during surgery increases healing, so last night, my wonderful friend down loaded some Liquid Mind music to my Ipod. I've already made arrangements with the surgery staff to play the calming, healing music into to my head phones while the surgery is going on.

The Heart Hospital here in NM believes in the healing power of music, and even lists it as a surgery option. Neat, huh? You may have your own unique, calming music or maybe you'd like to down load some of the Liquid Mind. If you're interested, here's the link:iTunes Store Music

We have an 8:30 A.M. check-in at the hospital this morning, so I have to take my final shower before surgery. I'm supposed to use Scrub Care, a special antibacterial soap all over my body. After the shower, I'm not to use any powder, deodorant, makeup or lotion. The NM weather makes your skin extremely dry anyway, and I can only imagine going a few days without lotion; however, I'm not letting it dampen my spirits.

I'm the second case today, so maybe I'll have time to post again before they wheel me down to the surgery suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment