Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Decided To Participate In A Heart Research Project

After debating for more than a week, I've decided to take part in the Medtronic Concomitant Utilization of Radio Frequency Energy for Atrial Fibrillation/Persistent (CURE-AF/Persistent)study. The study will involve 75 U.S. subjects at 15 different medical centers. The study, as I understand it, endeavors to measure if there are benefits to having surgery to treat A-Fib. My valve replacement surgery will be at the Heart Hospital in Albuquerque, NM.

The PROS to me are that I have an opportunity to contribute to the advancement of medical research. My feeling is that A-Fib patients may eventually benefit from the study. Also, I will be more closely monitored post surgery as a participant in the study. The CONS are that I might be tied to the study for up to 5 years, and that I will be on anticoagulant medication for 3 months. I don't fancy the blood thinners at all, and was hoping to get off them sooner than that after surgery.

Could be that your medical center may ask if your interested in participating in this study or some other heart related study. Hey, research is what has made valve replacement surgery the the success it is today!

Today, at 4:00 p.m., I'm pooped out and ready for a nap. Here's what my day was like. Up at six, fixed breakfast, cleaned up the dishes, took a shower, drove across town for an annual mammogram screening (yes, I am a woman, we have valve replacement surgery too), came home for lunch so I could take one of those horse pill antibiotics, took my angel Shih Tzu to the vet for an infected toe issue. As it turned out, these vets in NM require that you have an appointment, so we're now scheduled for in the morning.

I located a source for the Liquid Mind CD I was telling you about yesterday. If you're interested, here's the link. iTunes Store Music


Off for my nap now!

No comments:

Post a Comment