Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day -1 Post Surgery Tricuspid Valve Repair -Thursday




Boy, do I look like a train wreck or what? They don't want you to get dehydrated, so they load you up on fluids. Scary!!!

The very first day after surgery they have you up in a chair and then walking. You're also connected to oxygen tubing, a variety of drips, and a foley catheter line. When you get out of bed, all of these connections have to go where you go. It's quite a process, but your first nurses are experienced and know just how to get you where you are going with the least amount of effort.

The first time the nurses get you out of bed, they give you a bright red heart shaped pillow. This red pillow becomes your ever-present bed buddy for the duration of your stay in the hospital. You will learn how, with the nurse's help, to use the pillow to avoid damaging or ripping out the stitching in your chest.

The trick is to use your lower body only to get yourself out of bed.
When they tell you to extend your booty back before sitting down, it is to your benefit to do so. You will gain strength in your legs very rapidly. At first they are kind of weak and wobbly, but they soon improve.

The first day after surgery, I spent 11 hours either in the chair or walking.
I thought it was cruel and unusual punishment at the time. Really, I was very glad to finally get back in bed that night. They nurses kept telling me how well I was doing and that it was all good for my recovery. I still have my doubts!

2 comments:

  1. Been praying and sending positive energy! Keep up the positive attitude and keep listening to music! I have a little framed saying that says, Those who sing pray twice.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, thanks for posting all of this. I hope you are still doing well. My husband has this surgery scheduled in two weeks so it is great to read about a patient's story.

    ReplyDelete