Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - The Mighty Spirometer!

When I took my temperature this morning, it was 99.3. My chest felt heavy and congested, more so than usual. My breathing had become somewhat shallow. And, I noticed that I was automatically avoiding any deep breathing. Lynn and I recognized these symptoms as signs that I might be retaining fluid in my lungs. Are you taking your temperature every morning?

So, I've been using the Incentive Spirometer (the plastic breathing gadget they give you at the hospital) on a regular hourly basis today. It is now 6:00 P.M., and I can tell that my chest doesn't hurt as much as it did this morning.

The importance of the Spirometer's use in your recovery is not emphasized enough during the discharge process. It could be the difference between a setback or continuous recovery. YOU will have to be the one to remember to use it frequently. Aim for 10 times per hour, but spread the 10 times out over the whole hour. Think of it as almost a full time waking job.

Lisa and Kris took me down to flat ground for two, 10 minute walks today. The walks were a little harder today due to the fluid retention in my lungs I'm thinking.

This morning, I took a nap, but haven't had one this afternoon. Will most likely turn in early and skip the afternoon nap.

Tomorrow, I'll see Dr. Blake, my Cardiologist, for the first time since being discharged from the hospital. I'm scheduled to see her once a week for a few weeks. Also, I will visit the INR clinic located in Dr. Blake's building.

Rita, one of the nurse's in the INR clinic, had two open heart surgeries in her early thirties. She is quite an inspiration. You get no BS from Rita. I find that it is more helpful to get information from someone who has been through the whole valve replacement surgery process.

Remember though, that you are unique. Just because someone else recovered in two months doesn't mean that you will, or that you are doing anything wrong. Go at your own pace and you will reach your recovery goals.

Friends and relatives have called to check on me, but talking on the phone seems to wear me out quicker. What about you?

All in all, I think I'm doing great for the shape I'm in. Will post again tomorrow. Feel free to jump in and add your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment