Thursday, May 21, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Discharge Day! Wednesday

Dr. Levy unexpectedly scheduled my discharge for today. I'm happy to be going home, but a little scared to be that far away from the ICU unit and immediate help.

All the hospital people come to pay you a visit on that final day. You'll hear from your case management expert, from your hospitalist, your surgeon, your cardiologist; and, your discharge nurse will go over all the medications you're to take when you get home.

Good Lord! Sue, the wonderful harpist even came by to play one last time.

Tim, my one and only son and one of the most miraculous gifts to my life, has been staying with me in the ICU unit has already started getting us all packed to leave for home.

We have to take all the new scripts by Walgreen’s on the way home. If you're like me, you will most likely have 8 - 10 new medications to keep up with. Just this, can be overwhelming in the first few days post operation, so have someone besides yourself listen to the discharge nurse as she goes over the medications you're being sent home with.

We arrived at home safe and sound to spectacular 'welcome home decorations'. The Cedar trees outside even sported yellow streamers. Yellow and blue streamers were all over the dining room, and little yellow smiley-faced containers held my favorite chocolate Hershey candy. Lynn, my beautiful best friend of many years, had even found the time to blow up balloons. How did she find the time? Do I ever feel special!

Tim is going to cook a special welcome home dinner tonight. I've heard that it might be his world famous spaghetti. He is a great cook, so whatever he cooks; I'm in for a world-class treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment