Monday, May 25, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Post Surgery Pain!

Today is Memorial Day, 12 days post surgery. I've had two long walks today and worked with the Incentive Spirometer each time I've thought of it. The pain from the incision in my chest has been quite a bit worse today. I think I've let the pain level get too high again. It's important to not let the pain get ahead of you. If you wait until you're at a 6 or 7, then it takes more medication to knock it back.

Kris and Lisa, my niece and nephew from California, and Lynn just prepared a wonderful cookout on our back patio. We were hoping to eat out there, but the rain ran us inside. Still, it all tasted great and it was wonderful to spend time with caring friends and family. I'm usually a very independent person, so, it's been an adjustment to let people help me do certain things.

So far, I've needed help with putting on the support hose, blow drying my hair, and taking my walks. We live in the foothills of the Sandias, so we have to drive to a more level area for my walks. I really can see an improvement in my endurance every time I walk.

Remember, you must let your support people know what you need from them and when. For example, you'll need to put on the hose before you start your day. Communicate this need to your designated helper ahead of time or you might be sitting there on the side of your bed waiting, with socks in hand, for a while. You will find that your loved ones and friends want to help you, but you must let them know ahead of time what you need.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lanie. I don't need a valve replacement and hope I never do, but I really enjoy your blog. It helps us know what is going on with you. We'll be seeing you in three weeks so keep on with the healing! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the detail you've included in your blog; very helpful to someone recovering from surgery who wants to know what to expect. You can get compression stocking aids that make it easier to pull the stockings on - they use a fabric or metal sleeve that makes it easier to slip your foot in and slip them up your legs.

    ReplyDelete