Sunday, June 28, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Hurrah, I Got Off The Oxygen!

I'm free, I'm free at last! No more oxygen for me. Today, for the first time since my heart valve surgery more than six weeks ago, I can breath well enough on my own to not be on oxygen during exercise.

I wasn't using it at night or even while I was up around the house, but I was having to strap on the old cannula and push the oxygen canister around for my walks up and down our marvelous Sandia Mountain foothills.

One of the exercise physiologists tested me today, and boom, I passed with flying colors. My pulse oxygen did not drop lower than 94 throughout all the exercise today. Last week, it was still dropping below 90 (the cutoff level).

To say that I'm a happy camper is an understatement. I can't wait to gleefully call the oxygen supplier next week and have all this oxygen equipment picked up. To me, the telltale paraphernalia has been a constant reminder of my physical limitations since the open heart surgery.

Also, today, I got to begin doing some level one (very low level) upper body exercises. Dr. Levy, my cardiologist, released me to start them with the stipulation that I not lift over 10 pounds. My upper arm muscles, as well as all the other muscles in my body, have atrophied during these last five months, so I'm very excited to be able to begin getting my body back in shape.

Before my open heart surgery, I had been walking our beautiful Shih Tzu and Boxer 2 -3 miles every morning. My progress today makes me know that someday very soon we will be resuming our delightful walks.

Poor babies, they just look at me longingly nowadays when I put on my tennis shoes and head for the front door. They have gotten somewhat used to the idea that they won't be going. Now, I can tell them that it will be just a little while longer and we'll be back in our regular groove.

Being able to walk our dogs is one thing that I did take for granted. Before my open heart surgery, I never once thought about or appreciated the fact that I could physically do it. No, to tell the truth, I never once gave it a second thought.

In fact, there were literally a gazillion things that I took for granted. I do notice that I'm taking more time to really tune in and focus on the beauty of the animals, birds, flowers, countryside, and people that surround me. Right now, almost everything is beautiful to me.

Probably, everyone that is recovering from open heart surgery develops a renewed interest in and an appreciation for the everyday activities of life. I for one, am mighty glad to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment