Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Picking Up The Pieces Of My Life!


Today, almost one month post valve repair surgery, I began to start doing some of the little things that I normally do. For instance, since my open heart surgery scar (about 8 -9 inches long) has almost healed, I put on my favorite turquoise necklace again. I wrote thank you notes to friends and family for flowers and other kindnesses. I drove to Whole Foods and to the Bank just to help out with the errands.

You can't imagine how liberating it was to be able to just get in the car and drive somewhere other than the hospital, Doctor's office, or Rehabilitation Facility. I think that cabin fever had begun to set in. The sky was bluer, the desert was more alive than I've ever seen it, and the clerk, cashier, and ordinary people I rubbed shoulders with were especially friendly today.

I'm now taking the Prednisone to eliminate the inflammation of my pericardium. One of the side effects is insomnia, and another is a red rosy rash on the face, neck and ears. I look like I've been sitting under a sun lamp or something. I'm hoping I look healthy instead of sickly.

My weight today is 120 lbs. I would like to maintain this weight, but I need to build up my atrophied muscles. Right now, my body is not a pretty sight to see (the mirror is definitely not my friend); however, the exercise program should have my muscles firmed up in no time.

Notice how I'm beginning to think about things other than my open heart surgery? For quite awhile, just about all I've focused on was getting through the surgery and recovering from it. I really didn't care what I looked like or what clothes I had on.

Connie and Lynn took me on about a half mile walk late this afternoon. Connie pushed the oxygen tank for most of the way. That two wheeled oxygen tank has a mind of its own, and it can be quite a chore to just move it straight forward. We had to stop many times for me to catch my breath, but we did finish our trek up and down the Sandia hills route we had chosen.

My sister, Skeeter, called this evening to see how I was doing. She has been worried out of her mind about me, but couldn't bear to talk with me on the phone for more than a minute or two because I sounded so weak and exhausted.

When you have fluid retention in and around your lungs, it does take a great deal of effort to talk. Today, I was able to carry on a more normal conversation with her, and I could hear the deep relief in her voice. She would have her sister back!

Sometimes, loved ones can act kind of strange when dealing with open heart surgery in someone they love. Actually, they are afraid that you might die, and they can't bear facing your death, so they withdraw to protect themselves from that possible pain at a time when you need them the most. Have any of you had a similar experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment