Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - A Big Red Letter Day!

Good news today! Saw Dr. Blake, my cardiologist, today for my third follow-up appointment post valve repair surgery to find out the results of my latest "echo" and chest xray, and to get any medicine changes.

The good news is that the valve surgery is a complete success, but just needs more time to heal. Instead of severe tricuspid valve regurgitation, the "echo" shows that I now have mild regurgitation from that same valve.

Dr. Blake said that the reasons that my tricuspid valve hasn't already healed is that the pericardium (the pericardium is the thin sac (membrane) that surrounds the heart and the roots of the great blood vessels) is inflamed.

Also, the xray shows that I still have some fluid retention around the heart and particularly in my lower right lung region. These are both painful conditions, but not life threatening like the damaged tricuspid valve was. Treatment for the inflammation is a 15 day round of Prednisone. Treatment for fluid retention is continued use of the diuretics for now.

I was greatly relieved and elated to receive this wonderful news. Since the veins in my neck are still visibly pounding, I've been afraid that something had gone wrong with the valve repair surgery.

My thinking had been, if the valve is fixed, why am I still having these bongo drum symptoms. I could have and did hug Dr. Blake when she gave me the excellent news. I certainly did not want to face open heart surgery ever again.

I drove myself to see Dr. Blake today. It was the first time I'd driven since the surgery. Driving was a snap for me. Getting in and out of the car was a little painful, but no more so than getting in and out of the passenger side which I've been doing while being chauffeured around by my terrific support folks.

From Dr.Blake's visit, I drove to rehab. I was able to double my time on the Treadmill and Tru-Step and add a couple of minutes to my time on the Recumbent Bike. So, now I'm doing 10 minutes each on the Treadmill and Tru-Step and I'm up to 5 minutes on the Recumbent Bike.

No great shakes to those of you who exercise regularly, but quite an accomplishment for me today. Eventually, my personal rehab program calls for 60 minutes of continuous exercise.

Then, I drove myself to Walgreens to get the Prednisone perscription filled. It's always a hassle down there at Walgreens; they had to call Dr. Blake's office to get specific dispensing directions for the medicine. Prednisone is one of those medicines where doses are gradually decreased over a time.

By the time I got through with all my running around for the day, I was a whipped puppy, and also, I was in a great deal of pain. Since I don't want to drive under the influence of pain medicine, I waited until I got home to take a much needed pain pill.

When I got home, I sat down in my chair, and while I waited for the pain pill to kick in so I could take a nap, I thought about how I really could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Today, I realize for sure and certain that I've been given a brand new opportunity at life.

I am immensely grateful to everyone who has helped me through this very unexpected and challenging period of my life, and I feel so blessed to count them all as my friends and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment