Thursday, June 18, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Picture This!

Our dear, wonderful friends Kathy and Judy arrived from South Carolina. What a joy to see them again. They will be here for ten days. Since I'm driving myself to follow-up Doctor appointments and cardiac rehab now, they will be free to really enjoy some of our spectacular New Mexico sites and activities.

Kathy is a gifted math school teacher and Judy is a retired librarian. They are both fascinating and fun-loving human beings. Right now, Kathy is into beading. If someone said that I would have to learn beading or die, they would just have to shoot me right there on the spot. My patience would not last longer than stringing more than two or three beads together.

Judy never tires of learning, has an inquisitive mind, and just finds tremendous joy in being alive. As an added bonus, she has promised to cook some of her fabulous specialties while she is here.

She recently had double hip replacement surgery, came through both surgeries with no complications, and now is pain free. She, like me, is one of those folks that truly enjoys rehab!

Honestly, I can't think of two more positive people to have around during this recuperative phase of my open heart surgery. I'm smiling just anticipating the fun we'll all have.

Kathy, Judy, Connie, Lynn, Bo, Bentli, and I all trooped for a mile walk around our beautiful Sandia foothills neighborhood this evening. I guess we had something of a hilarious parade going on. People on foot and in their cars were smiling and waving as they passed us by. I have no doubt that they went straight home to share what they had just seen on our normally quiet streets.

Here's the picture: Judy, leashed-up our 70 lb., very rambunctious Boxer. Kathy took our well-behaved, yet very independent Shih Tzu. Connie once again pushed my oxygen tank for me (the one with a mind of its own), I'm walking along with the nasal oxygen cannula hanging out of my nose, and Lynn is keeping us all amused as we progress up and down the hills.

Connie was trying to run me down with the oxygen tank every few minutes. Bentli was jerking Judy into the next world, Bentli got passed to Lynn fairly shortly, Bo played Thumblina most of the way (when she gets tired, she smells every other weed and tinkles just a couple of drops), and I was enjoying being with friends, having them care enough about me to walk with me, and just having the chance to be alive and laugh again.

No comments:

Post a Comment