Friday, July 24, 2009

Valve Replacement Surgery - Yeh! I'm Off The Lasix!

For some reason, getting off the Lasix (a common diuretic used after valve replacement surgery), has been extremely difficult for me. My cardiologist, Dr. Blake, has gradually reduced the dosages, but that last small dose was the hardest to eliminate.

I would try to skip a day of the small dose, and the next morning, fluid would pool around my knees. I was beginning to think that I would be on this particular diuretic forever, but after skipping my dose yesterday, no fluid had accumulated around my knees this morning. I am so happy to subtract one more drug from my daily medicine taking routine.

I'm still taking a small dose of another type of diuretic (Spironolactone, a potassium saving diuretic), but with any luck, it won't be for long.

When you first leave the hospital after your heart valve surgery, it seems you have a dozen different medications to take, but gradually, one by one, the dosages get cut and then they are completely eliminated.

You feel somewhat liberated, and strangely enough, there is a certain sense of accomplishment every time you get to discard one of those medicine bottles. Each medicine bottle that you get to throw away can be counted as a milestone in your recovery process.

I believe that one of the most beneficial things that you can do for your recovery is to stick with your rehabilitation program. Exercise is a form of medicine too, at least that's what the sign says over at New Heart, my rehabilitation facility.

Cardio exercise gradually makes your heart stronger and able to pump efficiently. When your heart pumps efficiently, it can automatically keep the fluid from accumulating in your body.

Lets see now, it's been nine weeks since my open heart dual valve repair surgery, and on the days I'm not at rehab, I work a full day on our Internet business. It feels really good to be back in the saddle again. Right now, I'm learning new things every single day.

I do still get tired, but not even half as tired as I was getting before the surgery, but back then I could not have hit a lick at a snake.

After only nine weeks, life is good again. We've found a bird block that the quail just love. I'll bet we have at least ten quail families that feed here now. It's a pleasant morning ritual to watch the different quail families come to the block and feed.

Connie and Rod, our friends who live up the mountain have had to quit feeding their quail because they now have three hawks hunting on their property.

Today is rehab day, and grocery day. Yes, I can do them both on the same day. At rehab, I'm working out a little on the weight machines, as well as doing 60 minutes of cardio exercise. I've made some friends there, and it's wonderful to see their progress too. Sometimes, I'm amazed at how fast heart patients begin to improve.

1 comment:

  1. generic lasix is a great diuretic . another great generic is kamagra for ED. so recommend it to you. so Buy Kamagra and experiment it.

    ReplyDelete